Friday 16 January 2015

Magazine Palette/Title Ideas and Decision

Anima

'Anima' and 'Animus' both have overlapping meanings, both have the basic meaning soul or spirit in Latin. The difference is that the feminine form, anima, has the root meaning breath, air, life force, while the masculine form, animus, has the root meaning mind or intellect.
After debating on the name, I decided to use the feminine form. This is due to the fact that it has the root meaning of breath, I feel as if that would make the magazine have a deeper meaning behind it, being a very natural and bright magazine.
One of the many colour palettes that I was considering I thought would be an excellent combination with the name.
This simple colour palette in my opinion is very light and bright. The yellow I believe adds a more illuminating tone to the palette while the blue and green make more of a natural look as representing nature and sky. This palette in my opinion would go well with the title as it truly represents life and everything around us. The only down side is the fact that the music taste I have chosen is although simple and elegant, there is a slight edge to it which I do not believe comes through in the palette. I feel as if the palette should be simple yet quite edgy and not overwhelming to look at. The use of darker colours may allow for this.

This darker colour palette in my opinion has a vintage tone to it but also has a slightly romantic essence. As I do feel that this palette would go well in a magazine, it perhaps would not be best suited in a music magazine. However, the old vintage style and simple colours in a sense highlight the 'indie' mind-set of the target audience making this palette interesting as it is an alternative that fortunately would be interesting to test out. A down side would be the fact that this comforting palette does not really go very well with the title as the name Anima although its deep meaning, does not sound very comforting.

This colour palette in a way combines both the positives and negatives of the first palette. This is due to the fact that the black and dark grey add the dark edge while the yellow and light blue add the bright, elegant touch. The palette does not have any kind of vintage feel which would be an interesting aspect to have, however it has an interesting modern look that in a way combines with the open minded title, therefore I feel that this palette goes incredibly well with the title 'Anima'.

HIVE

The word 'hive' can mean a place swarming with busy occupants. This in my opinion is a reflection of society itself. My target audience that I researched have a left wing political view, in this sense they have a "power to the people" mind set. This then gives me a good way to relate this title to my target audience. By using the word hive, this will allow for the target audience to feel more together and make it easier for them to relate via the magazine.
Having a palette with all the same monotone colours plays on the left wing idea of equality. By having a dark theme, it eradicates making judgement on the magazine for a certain colour, it also brings the attention not to a certain colour scheme, but the content and makes the magazine itself incredibly simple.

This palette does what the previous palette does with bringing the attention to the audience with the subject, however the introduction of a bright and vibrant green creates an attracting aspect that makes certain information and certain aspects of the title stand out. This palette in my opinion would go well with the title due to the fact that the word hive is very short and snappy and allows for a lot of customisation that will not overwhelm the page, for example 'Hot Mosh' has a title that is short but has editing that does not overwhelm the page and the readers attention.

Overall, I have decided to use the name 'HIVE' due to the fact that I feel it connects to the target audience in a better way than my previous idea. The palette I shall be using is the final one as I feel I have more ideas for that palette that I shall later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment